Tips for a Fire-Safe Holiday Season
House fires are at their peak during holiday season. With Greensite, we provide customers with the most modern and reliable fire alarms available today. Our trained technicians will integrate your fire alarms with your current home security systems so you can have access to it at all times in your own hand. Here are some tips on fire safety for this holiday season.
Safe Artificial Tree Use
If you’re using an artificial tree, check that it is labeled “fire resistant.” Place your tree at least 3 feet away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Turn off all lights and decorations when you go to bed or leave the house.
Safe Candle Use
- Use flameless candles instead of lighted ones.
- Don’t place them near flammable objects, like curtains or furniture.
- Never leave burning candles unattended–even for a second! If you must leave the room, blow out your flame first and then take it with you.
- Burning wrapping paper in the fireplace can cause flash fires if there is too much paper inside at once or if it gets too hot from being burned too long; make sure to keep an eye on what’s going on inside there!
Chimney and Fireplace Safety
- Check and clean the chimney and fireplace area at least once a year. If you’re using your fireplace regularly, it’s important to have it checked by a professional at least once a year. Chimneys can become blocked by soot, which can lead to dangerous situations if left unchecked.
- Keep your tree hydrated! Check the tree stands water level every other day and refill as needed (but don’t overdo it–you don’t want moldy needles!).
- Beware of overloaded electrical outlets and extension cords.
- Never use an electrical outlet that has been damaged or is not working properly.
- Do not overload extension cords, as this can cause them to overheat and start a fire.
Check Your Smoke Alarms
- Check your smoke alarms to ensure they are working.
- Check the batteries in your fire extinguisher and make sure it is stored properly.
- Make sure you have a first aid kit on hand and know how to use it!